Stand By Me by Ben E. King is a song that always makes me pause and listen. It soothes my soul to hear that heartfelt plea for the comfort of another. I breathe deep and contemplate.
Maybe it’s because I have a Taurus sun sign, or was born under the year of the Earth Dog in the Chinese Horoscope ~ loyalty is important to me! Both astrological aspects speak of the deep desire to have loyalty in the forefront of life.
But, I know it cuts more deeply than dependence on another’s whim to be at my side, especially during times of uncertainty or hardship. Friends will come and go, and maybe come again. And, yes, I feel very loved by the ones who have had my back come what may. But, the real question is, where have I been most loyal to myself?
While pondering this, I’ve come up with a list of ways I want to be more loyal to myself. Perhaps, it will resonate with you too.
• Speak up when an untruth is being told.
• Say no if it is not for greater benefit to all.
• Do not take on projects that don’t make my heart sing.
• Appreciate all the little things that I do whether noticed by others or not.
• Relish the purr of the cat held close to my chest, a luxurious spell in the oh-so hot water of my tub, the beauty of nature’s sun and snow, and the taste of my home cooked meals.
• Know that I am never really alone ~ Spirit Guides and Angels are by my side.
• Know that I am deeply loved beyond this little world. Let myself really feel it!
When we are loyal to ourselves by taking excellent care of our needs, then we have more energy to take care of all others. I love how Ben E. King’s last stanza of the song turns his attention toward someone else.
When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we’ll see
No I won’t be afraid, oh I won’t be afraid
Just as long as you stand by me, stand by me
So darlin’, darlin’, stand by me, oh stand by me
Oh stand, stand by me, stand by me
If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
Or the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won’t cry, I won’t cry, no I won’t shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me
And darlin’, darlin’, stand by me, oh stand by me
Oh stand now, stand by me, stand by me
Whenever you’re in trouble won’t you stand by me,
Oh stand now, by me
Oh stand now, oh stand, stand by me
Happy Valentine’s Day
Pen Augustin is author of Waves of Light and The Priestess Tale series. She is also founder of Lady of the Lake Holistic Health. Pen loves to give messages about how we can heal ourselves and bring balance to our beloved planet. Living near the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan, she enjoys spending time in nature and communing with the local wildlife.